Belated Sea Otter Recap

I’ve got some pictures for you from Sea Otter!  Unfortunately, most of them are from Cyclingnews, but here I’ll add a little commentary to go along with them.  After the road race stage:

That’s me wayyyyy in the back wondering what everyone’s complaining about.  Hot?  Psh!  You don’t know what hot is till you’ve done a summertime road race in FL.  Bring it on!

The above picture is what I emailed to my coach when he asked about my TT position.  Nice, simple, better than words.  Thanks, Cyclingnews!  My Sea Otter TT was solid and my legs felt good.   However, somewhere in the back of my brain is a memory of crashing and fracturing four vertebrae in a TT last year, so my descending isn’t quite what it should be.  I was 7th.

This is me leading the bunch up the climb.  I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but if someone got a picture of it, it must be true.

This is a picture of me trying to win a stage and instead getting second.  Alison Powers and I played cat-and-mouse there toward the end in our two-person breakaway on Stage 4.  I had had my sights set on the stage win!  Little did I know, if I’d hadn’t screwed around and just pulled Alison to the line, I could have moved onto the podium in GC.  Only nine seconds away!  But I didn’t know it at the time.

That hindsight talk is typical for a stage race though – I usually find myself looking back and thinking, “Well, if I’d only done ___ on stage two…”

Actually got to do some sightseeing while I was in Monterey.   This is me at Fisherman’s Wharf.

Like I said, our host family was fantastic!  My flight wasn’t until Monday afternoon, so I stayed with them by myself on Sunday night after the other girls went home.  I was a little nervous because all the attention would be focused on me, but I had a glass of wine with dinner and everything was good.

I know this post is late, but I’ve been traveling so much it’s hard to find time to write about all of it!  I spent Monday night after Sea Otter in the Minneapolis airport with my purse strapped around my arm, my head on my backpack, and my feet draped over my carry-on.  Gotta keep the legs elevated!  I arrived home Tuesday afternoon, did two big kilojoule days on Wednesday and Thursday, drove 8 hours to Atlanta on Friday to say bye to Dan (who is currently in Russia and probably kidnapped since that’s the only reasonable explanation for no email in 12 hours), did Athens Twilight on Saturday, drove the 8 hours home to Orlando on Sunday, and left the house at 6 this morning to catch a flight here.

By here I mean New Mexico.  Tour of Gila!


Posted on April 30, 2012, in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: